HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 1

From:
Rich Trapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rich Trapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 1995 17:08:05 MDT
K. Hariopoulos writes:

>    Hello,
>
>    I started recently to design a new application in MS/Windows 3.1 where the main data has to be transerred from the HP3000 host.The general idea is to develop a program in Visual C calling OODBC drivers just to bring the data to the PC, but the data are also in Image/SQL and KSAM/iX. I remember that for KSAM access there is a library called PPL by WRQ (*not so sure*). Is there anyone on the list who already used PPL? If I 'll use PPL, i suspect that i have to write two different applications (one for Image/SQL via OODBC, the second for KSAM/iX via PPL) Are better API's or methods to bring the data together to PC? Are all these middleware products Impromptu, Inform. Access etc.) implemented in a similar manner?
> Any ideas or comments would be very much appreciated.
>
>   Thank you in advance,
>

>   K. Hairopoulos
>   Software Engineer

Here at DISC we've used PPL for quite awhile on various project and products.
It has support for most (all?) of the MPE file system and Image intrinsics.
You certainly could write the KSAM retrievals using this.  You could also
use their IMAGE intrinsics to access your IMAGE/SQL data (assuming you don't
need to access any ALLBASE tables you may have created).

If you choose to use ODBC, you can use both in it and PPL in the same client
application.

You may also check out M.B. Foster's ODBC driver which allows access to
KSAM files via ODBC if you define the files in a dictionary it understands.
(Anyone have any experience with this?  I haven't used it personally...)

Rich
________ Dynamic Information Systems Corp.   |
\!DISC / Rich Trapp                          | My opinions are my own.
 \    /  OMNIDEX Product Manager - IMAGE/SQL | With any luck they're
  \  /   Phone : 303 444-4000                | correct ;-)
   \/    E-mail: [log in to unmask]                |