HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 1

From:
Jeff Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 1995 19:01:06 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] says...

>  I'm sure its been discussed before:  we have a rather large production
and
>inventory management system running on a classic 70.  We are getting
>ready to upgrade to an new PA box.  Most of the code is TRANSACT
(augh!).

> Does someone have a log of their experiences,  a headsup on what to
>expect, or a warning of the 'gotchas'.  We have to do this with almost
>zero downtime for our facility which is a 24x365 operation.
>
> Any thoughts on the TRANSACT side would be greatly appreciated.  Can we
>mix native and compatability mode TRANSACT?
>
>  Thanks for your help, and apologizes to those who may have done this
long
>ago and are tired of hearing (or talking) about it.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>Kim Kreider
>Franklin, Virginia

*********************

That is dredging up history for us.  When we did the conversion in 1992,
we noticed the following:

-       Transact XL was much faster.

-       The Transact/XL compiler was much pickier so that minor syntax
        errors which were acceptable before now were not.

-       The Transact/XL compiler required the use of Set(Key) or Path
        statements in places that the Transact/V compiler did not.  This
        was a case of our coding being sloppy, since the manual for the
        Transact/V compiler stated where these statements were needed,
        but then allowed code to work without them.

Sorry I don't remember more.

Jeff Brown
Battelle, Pacific Northwest Laboratory