HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 5

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 06:51:33 -0700
Ken Sletten b894 c331 x2525 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>(snipped)
>If you are in DBUTIL, and are the properly authorized
>CREATOR of an Image/SQL database, and are in the
>same GROUP as the target database, then you can
>just say    PURGE  or  ERASE  <database_name>.
>And you data is toast.

Actually, there is one more requirement.  The data base can not be
opened by any users.  This doesn't solve Ken's problem, but does
add one more stopping point.

>Now perhaps there are those of you who work in a quiet,
>unhurried academic environment where you carefully
>double check and keep perfect track of where you are in
>the system at all times.   But for those of us who's goal
>must many times be to get through the week without
>falling further behind;  who usually have a terminal
>session plus 2 or 3 VT sessions going at the same time
>(some in production, and some in the test account);  it
>is easier than I would like to get mentally cross-connected
>and ALT-TAB into the production DBUTIL VT session
>instead of the test account.

This is a problem that I ran into, myself, about 10 years ago.  How
do I know quickly what window am I in? (Back before windows, I used 2
copies of Reflection for multiple access to the 3000).  I decided to
use different color schemes for each environment.  In a production
window, I might use a red background to remind me I'm in production.
With Reflection, you can start a window process, log on to where you
want, and then load the color configuration for that log on.  In fact,
if you have your own unique log on, you can setup a udc to load your
colors for you.  Then each time you log on, the colors will automatically
be set as you wish.

>(snipped)
>DBUTIL enhancement request for the SIGIMAGE list
>(didn't do SR yet;  will when I get a round-tuit):
>
>For destructive commands in DBUTIL, the dialog should
>go something like this:
>>>PURGE  MYDB
>     Sure you want to PURGE  MYDB.group.account  ??
>     Confirm (NO/YES) >>YES

>And I do mean a three-letter "YES" is required to PURGE.

I realize that MPEX is a third-party product, however it does at least
require you to confirm, unless you use the YESPURGE command.  Additionally,
if you are having problems with dbs, you might also be having similar
problems with other files.  MPEX will handle all files with the
confirmation.  Also, on a 900, I believe you could write a command file
that will do all of this for you.  One command could be DBPURGE basename.
If you answer "YES", it can build a file to input into DBUTIL for
processing.  Then PURGE filename, could work with the MPE/iX PURGE command
once you have answered "YES".

>(snipped)
>Yea verily, I feel better now, having confessed to being
>capable of the unthinkable database management blunder.
>We've got DDS backups that we VSTORE on a second
>drive, but I still hate to have to bet the ranch on them......

"All men have sinned..." "... of which I am chief."

Larry Boyd