HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 5

From:
Byron Nesheim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Byron Nesheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 16:27:35 GMT
Michael I Yawn ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Ross Ridge ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: : Ron Seybold  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
: : >Found on the Internet, written by one of the authors of the Unix Hater's
: : >Handbook.In addition to being unreliable and costly, Unix is also
unsecure.

: : [ Recycled anti-Unix bigotry deleted. ]

: : Is this supposed to change anyone's opinion?

: Unfortunately, it seems to be a frequent occurence in the HP3000
: community that someone, typically ignorant of the complexities of
: running an MIS shop on a day to day basis, has decided that UNIX
: would be the correct strategy for the company to pursue.  We at
: CSY (George Stachnik especially) have spent considerable time
: and effort to provide our customers with the information they
: need to properly evaluate whether such a move is appropriate.

: So the answer to your question is both no and yes -- No, it is
: not supposed to change the opinion of anyone who has enough
: knowledge of both environments to have formed a reasonable opinion.
: But it will help provide some "ammunition" for use against those
: who have made a religious decision to move to Unix, without a
: reasoned evaluation of business needs and the strengths and
: weaknesses of potential solutions.

And You do not have a vested interest in the extolling of MPE? :)
But I do agree with your point. There are positive and negative
aspects of both environments. And it is critical that the decision
is based on knowledge and not on hype or ignorance. The last time
I looked the transaction processing was a hell of alot cheaper on
an HP3000. And the last time I participated in a migration I wondered
what the cost/benefit was.