HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 01:10:56 EDT
This will be somewhat rambling, so excuse me in advance :-)

I appreciate the humor of the thread, particularly since I have *nine*
7933's (off maintenance) in the machine room.  Up until the 7933 you
could play "CE for a day" in the event of problems... accidentally shut
down a less critical system and cannibalize parts from it to repair a
broken production disc.  If all else fails, swap drives/packs and you're
back in business.  Not so these days, if a disc fails, it's replaced, and
you're back to reload time.  End of this thread...

Let's not start on buoyancy/water displacement/etc as I'm rather addicted
to Scuba diving (the funny graphic before my name in my .sig is a dive flag)
and I could really ramble aimlessly, or throw thought-provoking questions at
you -- (If a nickel floats on a piece of balsa wood in an aquarium, then you
knock the nickel off into the water, does the water level rise, fall, or stay
the same?  If you drop a scuba tank onto a hard surface, it makes a very
characteristic "ping" noise.  What's the difference between a full tank and
an empty tank, and why?  etc)

But seriously, sinking the damned things in a body of water is not necessarily
a Bad Thing (tm).  Many states have artificial reef programs where debris is
intentionally sunk to make a habitat for fish and a foundation for coral and
other invertibrate life.  The catch is it has to be "environmentally clean"
first -- no hydrocarbons, etc.  If the "HP Recycling Program" strips out the
wiring, bearings, grease, etc, and leaves a metal/plastic chassis, it would
not be a bad candidate for intentionally sinking.  There are many ships, some
airplanes, abandoned Navy underwater habitats, bridge spans, and all sorts of
rubble off the coast of Florida and the fish love it.  I've seen it first
hand, it works.  Personally, I'd find diving a "7933 graveyard" interesting.

Just off Miami FL they recently sunk a Boeing 727 jet.  There's a DC-3 off the
shore of the La Ceiba hotel in Cozumel MX.  Destin FL and Panama City Beach FL
both have extensive "stacks" of old bridge debris that now houses countless
marine life.

Yeah, it's a crazy idea, but just making a point.  Don't go dumping your
garbage in a large body of water (not nice), but reasonably "clean" garbage
with a solid structure is a welcome habitat to many marine critters.

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]