HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 5

From:
Jeff Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 16:28:38 GMT
Could you perform your backup to a disk file and then copy
that disk file elsewhere - e.g., to tape over the network?
Lots of disk space used, but it gets around not having an
autoload tape drive or one without sufficient capacity.

Jeff Brown

In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] says...

>Christian Super ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>: We are attempting to back up a HP3000 948 and HP9000 G50 to a tape
>: drive on our Novell 3.12 network.  (Don't ask...if HP would deliver an
>: autoloader tape drive we wouldn't be doing this.)
>
>: Once we upgrade the 948 to MPE V, both systems will have NFS
>: capability.
>
>I assume you mean MPE/iX 5.0 rather than MPE V :-)
>
>There is no NFS capability included in MPE/iX 5.0. The only NFS
>solution for MPE which will let you access files on the 3000 is
>NFS/iX from Quest Software. It has been available since 4.0, so
>you wouldn't need to go to 5.0 before using it (although there
>is a much-enhanced 5.0 version which tightly integrates with the
>MPE Posix environment).
>
>: On the Novell side, we have a Conner DDS (DAT) 4mm tape drive with 8
GB