HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 00:55:00 EDT
I've recently found myself in an awkward position of having a scheduled
strategic planning/future directions planning meeting in two weeks (more
or less, on May 12).  The upper eschelon management is caught up in the
industry "client/server Unix buzzword world" and is questioning our use
of the HP3000 platform in general - preferring to adopt to Novell and Unix
servers and third-party software.  The latter doesn't bother me as much,
we had a demo from SCT Banner for student records/financials/etc which runs
on open systems with Oracle 7.  But if worse came to worse, it would be a
matter of what "server" we choose to implement.  So I'm begging for help.

If you were faced with the question of "Why stay with the 3000 when the
entire media universe is touting Unix client/server?"  With the SCT product
we have a choice of servers (offering Oracle client/server access).  Speaking
for myself, I have no intentions of becoming a Unix system manager.  I've
given the basic points, but my upper management wants facts and figures - the
installed base of the 3000, the future of the 3000, why choose a 3000 over a
9000 (or generic Un*x box), and so forth.  So given the theoretical question:

If you were in a similar situation, supporting an "Open" application, why
would you stay with the 3000?  (I say reliability and management simplicity,
plus no staff retraining).  I would like to solicit "testimonials" from any
of you with a few minutes to spare as to why you stick with the 3000 platform.
I want to compile a summary; I can keep it anonymous, but would also prefer
names, contact addresses, and company affiliation if possible.  I will keep
sources, but I need some "hard and fast" concrete data.

If you have a few minutes to spare, please explain the advantages of the 3000
over a Un*x platform (in your opinion/experience) and note if your response is
available anonymously or if you're available as a contact.  I will honor your
wishes.  I would prefer non-HP responses (unbiased) but will take all replies.
Many thanks in advance.  Your co-operation is closely related to my employment
future (at worst) and stress level (at least).

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]