HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

Craig Vespe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 15:03:18 CDT
Jeff says -

>Before this get's any further...
>                                [\] Jeff
>
>I've heard from a few people about the "Good Times" e-mail virus (or
>something related to it).  THIS IS A HOAX.  And an old one at that, it
>made the rounds last December.
>
>E-mail is DATA.  It cannot do anything to your "computer" unless you
>decode, save, and execute a binary object file (which is hard enough to
>do on purpose and I think impossible by accident).  Even if such were the
>case, the "virus" would be specific to a particular platform (Windows, Mac,
>Unix, etc) and probably a particular mail reader.
>
>Here is further evidence (reposted from the original December panic) from
>Lawrence Livermore National Labs (if you won't take my word for it :-) ).

[CIAC stuff snipped]

   I'm sorry, but...

   Afraid the CIAC is wrong!  This virus does not affect PCs or Macs,
   it affects the *mind*.  Immediately after reading about this virus,
   one starts to hear the 1980's disco hit "Good Times" over and over and
   over...  The only way to get rid of this bug is to insert your
   favorite disc (vinyl or CD - preferably non-"Sister Sledge"), crank
   the amp to 11, and drink plenty of (intoxicating) fluids!

   cv
Craig Vespe                      Unison Software
[log in to unmask]                    811 Barton Springs, Austin Tx.