HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Craig Vespe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Vespe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 12:28:26 CDT
Gilles writes:
[...]
>On page 5-54, I notice the following:
>
>1. Backup your HFS files, for example:
>:STORE /[a-z]@/
>
>2. Purge these files via the PURGEDIR /[a-z]@ and PURGE /@ commands, which
>remove all HFS objects.
>
>Hmm. Wait a minute. In the above STORE command, not all posix files and
>directories will be stored - only those beginning with lower-case letters
>or which reside underneath directories beginning with lower-case letters.

   That's right.  So, your local .profile and .sh_history won't get backed
   up, for example.

[...]
>I then turned to the response centre and posed "How do I store ONLY posix
>files on 5.0?". The answer was, issue either of the following 3 commands:
>
>1. :STORE @[log in to unmask]@ - @[log in to unmask]@ or
>2. :STORE [log in to unmask]@.@ or
>3. :STORE / [log in to unmask]@.@
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Fine. But, wait a minute. Do either of the 3 commands succeed in storing posix
>objects which exist underneath MPE objects - for example if I have a posix
>-names file or directory in a GROUP. I suspect not - but I'm not certain.
>I'm waiting for the first powerpatch before I upgrade to 5.0. I will
>certainly be experimenting once I do.

[...]

   While I haven't tried 1) or 2), the third incarnation does indeed work -
   and backs up HFS directories and files hanging off an MPE group.

   As far as doing a PURGE /@... I think I'll wait until Thursday's full-back.

   cv

Craig Vespe                      Unison Software
[log in to unmask]                    811 Barton Springs, Austin Tx.