HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
"Tony B. Shepherd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony B. Shepherd
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 09:46:58 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
  Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]> wrote (snipped greatly):
] Subject:      IMAGE/SQL & LAN Cards.
] When you access over the network a large table, you get pauses.  Sometimes
] the pauses stretch out.  When this occurs, there is no disk activity on my
] PC, everything is done on the network and in memory.  I had earlier installed
] a small mirror behind my PC so that I may see the lights on the LAN card to
] monitor the activity.  This reflection can only be seen from a specific angle
] and you have to look for it.

Thanks for a good idea (why put indicator lights on the back?), but for
those who feel less comfortable with tools, try the following.  I have
used this quite often, including 'extending' the trouble light on a steam
humidifier hidden above the drop ceiling tiles.  Materials will vary - you
have to be a little creative.

Get a plastic soda straw, some clay or putty, and a piece of fiber optic
cable (length to suit).  Cut a one inch long piece of the straw, stuff 3/4
inch with clay, shove the fiber through.  The straw should almost grip the
LED or pilot light.  Tape both ends in place.  You must view directly -
even a little off-center and you can't see the light.  Enjoy.

           -----    xxxxxx clay/putty xxxxxx
                \   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bulb to monitor |******************************************* optical fiber
                /   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
           -----    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              |<  about one inch or so    >|

--
Regards  --  Tony B. Shepherd  --  [log in to unmask]