HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 23:11:17 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Kevin D. Joseph) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are in the process of evaluating the risks involved in moving from 4.0
> to 5.0.  Currently we have to machines (967 for production, 918 for
> development).  We would like to put 5.0 on the development machine first.
> So here are my questions.  Will we have any problems compiling code under
> 5.0 (COBOL,C,FORTRAN,Pascal,Powerhouse) and running the code under 4.0?
> Is anyone currently in a similar situation?  Any hints, tips, etc. would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!
>
> Kevin Joseph
> UMBC University Computing Services
> email: [log in to unmask]
> phone: (410) 455-3981

A general rule of thumb is for you to be aware of features in the
OS that were added after 4.0.  If you take advantage of these features
in your program, your program will fail to work properly in 4.0.

Some key features to look out for:

   POSIX functionality, including HFS files -- introduced in 4.5.
   Shared Globals functionality -- introduced in 5.0.

Jon Cohen
Release Manager, 5.0
Commercial Systems Division, HP