HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Isaac Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 08:59:53 -0700
Item Subject: Message text
> We are attempting to back up a HP3000 948 and HP9000 G50 to a tape
> drive on our Novell 3.12 network.  (Don't ask...if HP would deliver an
> autoloader tape drive we wouldn't be doing this.)

An autoloader tape drive would be nice, I could use a few myself.  Perhaps HP
will be addressing this sometime in the future.  Who knows, such announcements
are usually made at the annual Interex conference...

> Once we upgrade the 948 to MPE V, both systems will have NFS
> capability.

BTW, the use of MPE/V is usually for the classic systems, where MPE 5 or MPE/iX
5.0 is for the PA-RISC based systems.

> On the Novell side, we have a Conner DDS (DAT) 4mm tape drive with 8 GB
> capacity.  We are using Palindrome's Backup Director software.
>
> According to...HP, Novell, Palindrome...we should be able to back the
> HP systems up on the Conner drive attached to the Novell network.

I can't really speak about pushing data from the 3000, but with products like
NFS it might be possible (I think Netware/iX wouldn't work in this case).

> Before I invest too many $$$ buying NFS support for the Novell network,
> has anybody done this sucessfully??  Any ideas???   Any anticipated
> problems???

One major problem, unless you can afford the downtime, backing up a large amount
of data over a 10mb link is very slow!!!  Speaking of which how much disk space
will you need to backup on your 948 and G50???

/isaac