HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 00:22:06 -0500
According to Debbie Blumenthal:

[snip]

> We will have *one* opportunity to establish a "standard" for our
> network/system usage.  I'm hoping we can make the best choice for
> our processing needs.  (I'm trying to sound unbiased...is it working?)

Debbie, perhaps we could help a bit more if you tell us about the
kinds of things you expect to do with the emulator.

If it were me, I say use Minisoft if price is a major factor *and*
you are interested in just replacing the terminal screen with a
PC.

On the other hand, if you plan to integrate PC software and applications
with 3000 data, automate file transfers, customize the user interface
to the emulator or generally want to do more complex or sophisticated
things *or* of you want to save on helpdesk/support costs (e.g. your
staffing is already constrained on supporting PCs and installing
software) - then I would go with Reflection (or perhaps Session - I
have used it quite a bit too before win92 got to the point of being
usable). Minisoft does appear to be developing these kinds of features,
if your willing to work with them on it and need to save $$.

BTW. Session is purchaseable from HP as "advancelink/windows" - if that
matters - and Reflection is HP's choice to bundle with the diskless
Windows Client PCs that they sell (and that you can now get a hard
disk for, so they aren't really diskless).

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]