HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 18:11:49 GMT
Denys Beauchemin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: If memory serves,  I believe it was called APL\3000, notice the backslash as

Actually, APL\3000 was one of the best APL's around, as far as features
went.  The problem was, it was the *slowest* APL by far.  It probably
would have gained more than any other program by porting it to RISC,
since the main performance problem seemed to be in its virtual memory
firmware (the 3000/III extended-for-APL firmware).

I remember using various competitor's APLs of the day (Sharp, STSC, IBM,
Burroughs), and was envious of the 2641 terminal (which only worked
with HP's APL) and the power of APL\3000 (including APLGOL (?), the
ALGOL-like alternative to APL that was part of APL\3000).

HP management apparently disliked APL\3000 (probably from listening
to complaints about its performance), and the lawsuit over its performance
probably didn't help it much.  As a result, they never released the
3000/4x APL firmware, even though it was developed & tested.  It would
appear that they dropped the product right after they won the lawsuit.

Stan Sieler