HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 3

From:
Howard Pringle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Pringle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 14:34:05 -0500
(Original post deleted)

>My opinion, and it may be a somewhat jaded opinion, is to not respond
>to posts like this. If the Library wanted this user to know about the
>OS and it's commands, they would do so. They are obviously making a
>substantial effort to do two things: allow simple, easy to understand,
>access to their system and protect the system from hackers. I am not
>implying this user _is_ a hacker but there are others out there that
>could access this information from the net.
>
>If this user wants more information on the OS, I would suggest he
>contact the library directly.
>
>--
>                            --Pete Crosby

>* "Arguing with an Engineer is like mud-wrestling a pig. Pretty soon   *
>*  you realize the pig likes it"  -author unknown                      *
>*                                                                      *
>*  Note: my comments are my own and do not reflect the views of my     *
>*        employer or necessarily anyone else.     [log in to unmask]       *

I wholeheartedly agree with Pete on this. I sincerely hope the library in
question has made the efforts to protect themselves from a member of the
public gaining access to a command prompt. I guess what bothers me the most
about the original post is the implication that "if I get access to a
command prompt, it's my option and right to go screwing around with
somebody's system to satisfy my curiosity". The library has made a good faith
effort to permit the public to access, within limits, its system from a
remote location. It has not made its system available for casual hacking,
teach-yourself-MPE instruction, or any other purpose. Let's not encourage
anyone, or provide them with any ideas, on how to cause problems for an
institution that is basically providing a useful public service, a service
that could possibly be removed from public access if someone like the
original poster starts playing games with ther system.

J. Howard Pringle                      | [log in to unmask]
Library Systems Manager                | The opinions expressed are mine,
Waukesha Public Library                | Mine, ALL MINE! (insert demented
Waukesha, WI   53186                   | laughter here)