HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 1

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 00:37:12 GMT
David Greer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: The following are my comments on the contents of /etc/profile as it is
: distributed on MPE/iX C.50.00.  These comments are personal and
: > #     COPYRIGHT (c) Hewlett-Packard Company 1992, All Rights Reserved.
: > # Default system wide configuration file for the MPE/iX Shell and Utilities
: > # set up the default path to include only the .2 utilities and the current
: > # directory
: > export PATH='/bin:.'

Wait a minute...on Unix machines, it's generally strongly recommended
that you *don't* have "." in the default path.  (something about
potential security holes)

Does this mean that MPE/iX (Posix) isn't emulating Unix security holes too?
:)    In short: does HP *really* want to use that default PATH?

: I don't find this a very good choice as the default shell prompt.

(I started a separate thread for "shell prompt")

: a lot more "cd" commands in the shell than I do "CHDIR" commands in
: MPE, so I find that it becomes critical that I know my current
: directory.

Yes.  I add the machine name to the prompt, as well.  This is very
important when using a workstation with multiple windows.

: > export TZ=GMT0
: >

Maybe it should default to PST8PDT?  :)   (where I suspect the
largest percentage of HP3000s exist)

Mostly, I agree with David's comments...thanks!

Stan Sieler