HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 1

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 23:44:19 GMT
Tony B. Shepherd ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Thank you for this and the other examples you posted.  While hope is not
: totally lost, the prospects of finding my SPL manual are fading.  I'm
: saving all your notes, and arranging for other questions to be asked -
: soon I'll have enough material to build my own :-)

Tony, I can't remember if you were interested in using user-intrinsics
from COBOL ... but (at least the CM) COBOL has a limitation that it
doesn't allow specification of a user SPLINTR-format file.

SPL has:  intrinsic (myfile) foo, fum, fie;
and Pascal and (I think) FORTRAN77 have $SPLINTR 'myfile'$, but not COBOL.

As a workaround, I've done:

   copy splintr.pub.sys, myfile
   file splintr = myfile
   run buildint.pub.sys;stdin = foo
where "foo" has the source for the headers for my intrinsics (e.g,
PROCEDURE FUM; OPTION EXTERNAL).  This mode of running BUILDINT
(no fancy directives) appends the stuff from the stdin (FOO in this case)
to the existing SPLINTR file (the copy of SPLINTR.PUB.SYS).

Then, to compile with COBOL and access standard intrinsics as well as
user intrinsics:

   :file splintr.pub.sys = myfile
   :cobol ...

       call intrinsic "FOPEN" ....