HP3000-L Archives

April 1995, Week 1

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 09:05:18 -0500
According to Tony Knott:

> Hi
>   We have a Nova 937LX - uses coax to connect to DTC48's
> around the factory.. anyone know if its possible to connect
> a Novell 3.12 server's coax to the HP coax and get communication
> bettween the two..??? I know when we baught the 937, they said
> that its new network card was Novell compatible..????

Greetings, The coax from both the Novell and the 937 are both
Ethernet (or 802.3 - almost the same - both use the same cable).
YOu can connect them together. The effect of connecting them
together will depend on the amount of traffic your networks
have - many of us isolate the DTC - HP3000 network on a
separate physical network or subnet by using a bridge or router
to connect between the DTC - hp3000 network and a Novell
network.

But, the main point is what do you want to achieve in terms of
communication between them? The coax connected (or networks
bridged) is a good starting point, but you will need software
one way or both ways to get communications between the novell
server and the hp3000 or between the PCs on the novell lan
and the hp3000.

What version of MPE are you running (and when do you plan to
upgrade to 5.0)?
Do you have ns/3000 services on the 937?
Do you already have PCs connected to the DTC - hp3000 lan?
What are you using on the PCs to talk to the novell lan - Novell's
ODI drivers with vlms or with netx?

Let us know and we can take this further.

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]