HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
Kevin Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 13:56:42 -0500
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
And here I was thinking, erroneously it seems,
that it was the job of the
LANIC to look at all the traffic on the local
subnet and pull out of it (and acknowledge) only
the packets that are addressed to it.

Well,  live and learn, I guess.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

I may be wrong here, but let me tell you where my
assumptions are comming from.

I had 4 HP3000s in one room, all with Lanic cards
and all on the network.  At one point, we moved
these from the fan-out box to another segment of
the network where a lot of PC traffic was, and
suddenly we started having problems.  I had two
70s and two 68s.  One 70 was heavily loaded, as
was one 68.  When we started having problems, it
was the 68 that kept loosing connectivity.  There
was only once that the 70 went, and we found that
there was *a lot* of pc traffic at this time.  At
that time, we decided to move them back to an
isolated area on our network, and bingo!  No more
problems.  It may have been that the card couldn't
keep up with the traffic, but it seemed odd that
the 68 was the one always dropping out.  Also, the
other two computers were not used as heavily, and
they never did drop their connectivity.

Okay, not so scientific, but it seemed like a good
assumption at the time. :-)

Kevin