HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
Mike Belshe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Belshe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 16:13:12 GMT
Jon Diercks ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: > Anonymous FTP is not yet available on the 3000, and until it is, the
: > only file transfer mechanism from jazz will be http.  Unfortunately,
: > http has a lot of shortcomings when used for file transfer.

: Mike--

: What kind of shortcomings have you encountered using http for file
: transfer?  I rather like it, since it allows my browser to give me
: better information about the progress of the transfer (the file size is
: transmitted at the start so the client knows how much is coming).
: Performance seems reasonable, although i haven't done any stopwatch
: comparisons.  I thought http was generally engineered to be *more*
: efficient than ftp for basic bit-pumping operations.

: Inquiring minds want to know...

I wish I could put my finger on it, actually.  There are two problems.

First, a lot of WWW browsers don't seem to support the option to "save to
local disk" option- or so I have been told.  I have heard this about netscape
and several PC WWW clients.

Second, a lot of people just can't download via http.  I don't know if
the bug is on our end or theirs, but I get a lot of complaints.  I've
never been able to reproduce it myself.  So far we've been unable to
identify the problem (not that we have tried really hard, either).
Anyway, I get a complaint about once a week asking for anonymous ftp
because someone can't download with http for whatever reason.

Mike

---
Mike Belshe
HP CSY Networking Lab