HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 17:54:33 EST
On Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:11:00 PST Ken Sletten - Code 331A said:
>Jeff wrote after HP wrote:
>>>2. Choose one: you would prefer to control this feature
>>>               via sysgen or online via a command.
>>Given current sysgen methodology I would prefer online via a command,
>>else I'll have to reboot to set it.  Anything to save reboots.
>
>Our site concurs with Jeff's comments.  Especially the "Anything
>to save reboots" part.  I.e:  even if something is changed only
>rarely, unless there is some technical reason that it needs to be in
>SYSGEN, then SYSGEN - NOT.......

Indeed.  I can see HP's point in *not* trying to make sysgen do real-time
changes (a lot of effort for something you're going to do once), but your
basic "boot" is a major issue these days.  Shutdown takes a nominal 5 minutes,
add another 5-10 if you do an "orderly" shutdown (notifying users, etc).  And
the boot itself is getting lengthy.  With the new CIO SCSI cards in our 950
and 960 systems (and new IODC firmware) it takes a few minutes just to get to
the ISL prompt after the CM> RS.  Heaven forbid if you have to cut an SLT and
update from a reel-to-reel tape.

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]