HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
David Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 08:21:00 PST
Randy Medd ([log in to unmask]) asks:

> Uh, we're on C.50.00 and _my_ screens still get cleared with both more
> and vi.
>
> Both programs generate: ^[&a0c0Y^[J.  That looks like a home-and-clear
> to me!  I'm using TERM=hp2392a.  What're you using?

I tried again this morning and vi was _not_ clearing my screen.  When
I first ran vi, my TERM variable was not set.  I also tried setting
it to hp2392a and ran vi both from the CI and the Shell.  In all cases
it looked like my screen didn't get cleared.

Jim Wowchuk ([log in to unmask]) then suggests:

> I don't want to point fingers, but what happens to your 50 screens of
> Reflection memory when you enter and exit QEdit's VIsual mode?  :^)
> (Or am I just running an older version?)

While it is not the default (it doesn't work with HP's hpterm terminal
emulator), you can ask Qedit to _not_ clear the screen when it goes
into full-screen with this command:

      /set visual cleardisplay off

I forget when this was introduced, but I think is was in Qedit 4.1
(but it might have been Qedit 4.2).  The current version os 4.3, so
this feature has been available for a couple of years.  Before that,
I would have had to point my don't-like-tools-that-clear-the-screen
finger at Qedit too.

Cheers,

David      <[log in to unmask]>