HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

From:
Craig Fairchild <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Fairchild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 14:53:17 -0800
Gavin writes:

>Brian writes:
>>If you take HPs offer up and subscribe to the notification list, you will
>>get the gory details of the problem.
>
>I didn't see any more info than what was already posted here.
>
>G.

Gavin's right.  This information isn't located in any electronic medium or
location anywhere.  As far as I know, there is only one person, the security
architect, who really knows the details of these problems.  And he's not
talking - believe me!

I think the first moment you hear that there are security holes, you can't
help but be curious - I was/am.  And while I do believe that security through
obscurity is no security at all, I also believe that it is probably prudent
to not publically detail the holes *if* solutions to the holes are readily
available.  I guess it's enough to know that these hole do not allow an
outsider to gain access to your machine.

Craig

P.S.  If anybody does happen to find out more about these things, add me to
the list of people who you notify.  The curiosity's killing me :-).