HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

Pete Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 12:04:16 EST
Tom Kirby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I wrote a program that used AIFSCGET/PUT to change our logging mask. I enabled
>event 45 (245, command logging) with it, but I don't see any of those events
>in the log file.
>
>Am I missing something?
>
>We are running on C.50.00.

Read the section on system logging changes in the 5.0 COMMUNICATOR.

Basically, within the OS there is no true logging event greater than
163. The event numbers greated than 200 map to their 100 level
counterparts; they were created to allow handling of longer file names
for POSIX and for SECURITY MONITOR.

The system has different record structures for the 100 and 200 level
events and they are written to the logfile using the appropriate
structure. When they are extracted with LOGTOOL, however, you can ask
for the 100 type or the 200 type and you will always get both.

This means when you enable event type 245, what really gets enabled
is type 145 (even though there is no true type 145). It turns out that
type 145/245 records are always logged using the 245 type but can be
extracted using either one.

--
                            --Pete Crosby

* "Arguing with an Engineer is like mud-wrestling a pig. Pretty soon   *
*  you realize the pig likes it"  -author unknown                      *
*  Note: my comments are my own and do not reflect the views of my     *
*        employer or necessarily anyone else.     [log in to unmask]       *