HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

From:
Guy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Guy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 09:36:22 EST
Jim Wowchuk wrote (in part):

> Another point to consider is those sites not currently on a support contract
> with HP.  Sure its easy to say, "Well get supported or get lost!", but is
> this unfair competition?  Imagine if the car manufacturers said, "Yes we
> know there's a potential brake failure problem in our model XYZ, but we'll
> only fix it for those customers who paid for an extended warranty".

"But Jim", he said with a wry grin on his mug, "That's exactly what happens
all the time, even to those with support contracts!"

Forgive my flippant ways, but I have had the unpleasent repeat experience
of calling HP, and other vendors, after a data trashing problem has occurred
only to be told "Oh, that's a known problem that we have had a patch for
for several months.  Would you like a copy?"

[soapbox mode on]
I would like automatic announcements of all patches for MPE in much the
same way as is done for IBM systems (they use FAX), HP-UX systems (they use
e-mail) and other vendors (DEC uses carrier pigeons).  A single sentance
which describes the patch ID and the nature of the problem (preferably
with a description of the symptoms) with access to more details would
be ideal.

The SSB is *not* what I'm looking for.  It is neither timely or summarized
in a usable form.
[soapbox descended from]

If HP has, or is in the processes of implementing such a scheme, then I
retract everything I just said.

Guy Smith                                Voice:  804-527-4000 ext 6664
Circuit City Stores, Inc.                  FAX:  804-527-4008
9950 Mayland Drive                      E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
Richmond, VA 23233-1464         Private E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

The thoughts expressed herein are mine and do not reflect those of my
employer, or anyone with common sense.