HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 1995 13:24:28 EST
On Sat, 18 Mar 1995 13:09:04 -0400 Chris Bartram said:
> In <[log in to unmask]> Esko Lahdensivu <[log in to unmask]>
>writes:
>>         on Powerhouse on the HP3000.  The interesting question is:
>>         now that httpd runs on the Hp3000 - is there a client prog
>>         (lynx ?) that runs on the same platform AND supports HP
>>         terminal interface ?????
>  lynx has been available on the 3000 for several months now. You can get it
>from http://jazz.external.hp.com/ or download a copy from our ftp server
>(ftp.3k.com). It runs on 5.0 and supports hp terminals.

Lynx and Gopher clients are both available, the problem is porting certain of
the client functionality to MPE.  I've played around with tweaking both with
limited success.  Here are a few considerations:

Both have a "save" function which indeed works, but it saves a Posix-named
file that the user may not expect.  I tweaked the gopher client's "download"
function (tied to Forsberg's Un*x X/Y/Zmodem module) to use Reflection's
file transfer, but you have to deal with Posix-named files here as well since
the working files are in /tmp.  You have to setup Reflection for Posix file
transfer, and in this case Reflection will use /SYS/PUB/PCLINK2 as the host
startup command (assuming user in shell) which doesn't work currently under
the 5.0 push if the user is in CI (implied XEQ can't be a Posix-named file).

Then we have the "mail" facility in the gopher client...

We're real close, but still no cigar.

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]