HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

From:
Hardware <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 21:13:08 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Goetz Neumann ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>: John wrote:
>: >Just wondering if any of you have seen the following:
>: >
>: >  We came in this morning and found an active spoolfile on one of
>: >  our remote Laserjet IVsi printers.  The Operator tried a few
>: >  commands such as suspending spooling for the device.  She was
>: >  unable to affect the situation.  For what ever reason, she did a
>: >  stopspool on the device next.  SCREEEETTTHHH!  The entire system
>: >  locked up.  She called the user department and found that the
>: >  printer wasn't online.  As soon as the online button was pressed,
>: >  the system took off again.
>
>: this looks similar to a complete system hang, that I had
>: to analyse a while ago.
>: Basically it has to do with the spooler getting too many
>: user commands queued at its message port, while it cannot
>: proceed with IO to an offline device. An ABORTIO <ldev>
>: will probably also cleanup the situation.
>: Look up HPSL for SR # 1650170761, a patch (MPEFXY7 ?) shall
>: also be available for 4.0, and it was fixed in 5.0 (Pull
>: and Push).
>
>-Larry "MPE/iX Spoolers 'R' Us^H^HMe" Byler-

For clarity's sake I'd like to know a few things:
1. Was the printer directly connected to the 3000 or linked in via a DTC
2. If linked via a DTC is it a 72mx with revision 8 powerpatch added?
3. If linked in via a DTC is the terminal type for it set to 22?
4. Is is using the direct serial port or a MIO card to interface on the
IVsi ?

The 3000 refuses to change or alter a spool file unless it can detect
the printer on the other end being online. I work regularly with my
3000/937 with a 72mx connected to 2 HP4's and a IVsi that have Wilco MIO7
cards in them. Nice, but you have to keep the 4's really clean or you'll
end up with Service 08 errors and spooler 136,offset=26500;resume 's to
get all the info out :)