HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 16:49:26 EST
Has ANYONE been able to get DTC Management AND polling to work?

I have spent the better part of a week trying to get it to work.  I started
on a relatively clean 486 machine, 8Mb RAM, 3Com network card.  Since I'd
already learned polling wouldn't work on RNS/Windows stack, I installed the
included FTP's PC/TCP stack.  In somewhat of a hurry I installed it with
the packet driver option [hold that thought].  OpenView installed cleanly,
and I fired it up to "play" a little.  Polling worked, autodiscovery worked,
IPX worked, everything great and wonderful, neat new toy, maybe the DTC
Manager PC can provide some useful information now...

Installed DTC Manager.  Bzzzzzttt.  Wrong, PCMPDRV requires an NDIS stack.
OK, drop back and punt, re-install FTP's stuff, it won't bind.  Fight around
with protocol.ini, autoexec.bat, config.sys until everything's back in order
and FINALLY get everything to bind cleanly and get the OMP Module to load
properly when starting DTCMGR.  Whew... ooops, now OpenView says polling is
not supported on this stack, NETMON initialize failure, blah, blah.

PLEEEEEZE don't tell me you can have polling OR DTC Manager but not both(?)
I'm tired, I'm aggravated, I'm cursing, it's 5:00 PM, it's Friday, I'm
outta here...

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]