HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Jon Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 16:20:48 GMT
There have been numerous postings in this newgroup commenting on HP's
5.0 Pull-Push strategy.  Clearly, this strategy is confusing, and we
will certainly remember the feedback before considering a similar
strategy in the future.

It has come to our attention that the confusion extends to patches as
well.  A customer has attempted to install the 5.0 Pull's Powerpatch
(X.50.24) on the 5.0 Push (C.50.00).  The Powerpatch installation tools
have safeguards in them that prevent this kind of installation -- a
Powerpatch shouldn't be installed onto a later version of the OS.  But
this customer, convinced that the Powerpatch needed to be installed,
persisted and caused himself a bit of grief in the process.

I know this is confusing, and it certainly is regretable, but I'll try
to clarify:

   The Pull's version number is X.50.20.
   There is a Pull Powerpatch available; it is X.50.24.
   All the fixes in the Pull Powerpatch were incorporated into the Push.
   The Push has shipped to all customers with support contracts.
   The Push's version number is C.50.00.
   The Push did ship with some "Supplemental Patches"; these were
      in AUTOPAT, not Powerpatch, format.
   You can easily determine the release version on the system you
      are running by using the :SHOWME command.
   The future Powerpatches for the Push will have version numbers
      like C.50.01, C.50.02, etc.  The first Push based Powerpatch
      is scheduled for the Spring timeframe.

You may install the Pull Powerpatch on the Pull, but DO NOT INSTALL THE
PULL POWERPATCH ON THE PUSH.  The Powerpatch installation instructions
and tools do the right thing -- the Pull's Powerpatch will not qualify
for installation on the Push.  If this happens, stop and check your
version numbers to make sure you are doing the right thing.  Also, when
the Push Powerpatches come out, do not attempt to install these
Powerpatches on the Pull.

The Supplemental Patches that shipped with the Push:  there are detailed
instructions with this shipment.  Please read these carefully.  For
expediency's sake, we did include a Pull STORE patch with these
supplemental patches, and the instructions cover when and how to install
all the patches.

I apologize for the confusion.

Jon Cohen
HP, CSY Release Management