HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
David Lukenbill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 16:15:00 +0000
Item Subject: Reply: Security Packages
Ed Gill writes:
>We are currently looking for a security package for our 992/100 and I am
>hoping that a few of you, that have already gone through this, would be
>willing to share your findings with me...[snip]

   IMHO, you can't go wrong with Security/3000 and Audit/3000 from VESoft.
When combined, these packages provide a fairly complete security package.
The Security/3000 package allows you to define and maintain a decent level
of security.  (Like any package, it does take some time and thought as to
how you would like to control access to your system.)  The Audit/3000
package is sometimes overlooked, but allows you to run security audits on
your system.  It looks for some common and not-so-common security loopholes
in your system, and suggests ways of correcting them.  (Most systems do have
some loopholes that can't be fixed easily.  The important thing to remember
is that as many of them you catch and correct, the better off you are.  You
would be surprised at some of the loopholes you can leave without even
knowing it if you don't have a means of auditing your system.)

   VESoft is (or at least used to be) really good about providing
demonstration copies of their programs.  I suggest you contact them and get
a copy.  I think you'll be pleased.

David N. Lukenbill
US Naval Surface Warfare Center, Louisville
Phalanx Production Engineering