HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Jon Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 04:04:44 GMT

>According to Robert Manocchia:
>>
>>         Is there any inherent danger in archiving telesup to tape and
>>      purging all files there. I haven't used anything there for quite
>>      while and neither has aanybody from HP.

Greetings, fellow net'ers.  My name is Jon Cohen, and I work for HP.
Most recently, I was the Release Manager for the 5.0 Push Release.

In regards to this TELESUP thread, I'm afraid that there's no quick
answer.  There are a lot of things in the TELESUP account, and these
files come from many different sources.  I could extend this
conversation to also include the other files that come along with the
system (say in PUB.SYS, for example).

The bottom line is that pretty much all of the files that come along
during a MIT installation are important.  Of course, depending on your
configuration, some files might be superfluous, but I would recommend
that you leave those files alone.

If you want to minimize the disc space used by TELESUP, the best way
would be to go ahead and purge the TELESUP account after your backup and
before your update to a new release.  This way, you won't carry around
"leftovers" from the previous release.  But be careful -- if you do
this, your system will lose the ability to read dumps from previous
releases.

I'm afraid that's the best short term answer I can offer.  We've
attempted to minimize the size of FOS in the past, but we haven't been
overly successful -- while no one system may need all the FOS files,
most systems need the whole collection.

P.S.  If you haven't gotten it already, you should be receiving the Push
soon -- the "push distribution" will be complete (leaving HP) by
Wednesday, March 8th.  This may be a good time to clean out the previous
files in TELESUP, as mentioned above.