HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
David Lukenbill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:34:00 +0000
Item Subject: Reply: how do you know that onl
>We have Turbo store on our 3000's and when we use the online option,
>how do you know that all the files are finished so that
>we can start the store automatically?

   I'm not I understand what you mean by 'all the files are finished so
that we can start the store automatically'.  I'm assuming you are talking
about knowing when access to the system has been sufficiently limited that
all (almost all) files on the system will get stored.

   Your first activity should be limiting access to the system.  Once you
have set the job and session limits and jobfence, stopped/aborted all of
your sessions/jobs/network/etc, you may start the store process.  What I do
is to run a command file which processes the output of the showjob command.
 Once I let my timer/warner expire, I abort any remaining sessions, stop
and/or abort any background jobs, and stop the network.  The reason I do
this is because there are some background jobs which I expect to always be
running.  If I see those jobs, I know that I can execute a "clean" shutdown
without having to abort them.  (My command file to do this is cumbersome,
but I didn't know what I was doing at the time.)  You may also use any
number of programs from the CSL to do the same thing, although they might
not have as much flexibility.

   If on the other hand, you are refering to when the attach phase of the
store process has completed so users can access the files again, you may
check the status of the tape drive(s).  Once the attach phase of the backup
has completed, the store process will own the tape drives.  You can write a
command file (etc) to check the output of a SHOWDEV devclass or SHOWDEV
ldev command.

David N. Lukenbill
US Naval Surface Warfare Center, Louisville
Phalanx Production Engineering