HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 04:20:04 GMT
[This note has been sent to the following InterNet address(es):
hp3000-l @ utcvm.utc.edu
it has also been sent to the following JP Morgan address(es) :
      To : SSWPROD.OAS @ TRSSW
]

My former colleague Don Harrington wrote ;

>now let's go back a few years to the glory days at Zilog.  When I
>first got there, we had three series IIIs named Blue, Black, and White.
>I suspect that Black and Blue were the first ones, so named because
>that's the way the system managers looked every day when they went
>home!

It may have had something to do with it. Does anyone else remember the problems
with port
speed sensing on the series IIIs(or lack of it). The apparent solution to the
frequent lockups was to
disconnect each cable in turn until the port holding up the system was
disconnected !

> We replaced them with two 64s (then 68s, then 70s) named
>Green and Gold (why, I don't know - perhaps my good friend and Zilog
>colleague, John Dunlop can shed some light on this!).

As far as I remember, (and we are talking dark ages here), there were votes for
Stan and
Olly, and Bill and Ben, but the voice of the Operations Supervisor prevailed.

Thanks for stirring those murky memories, Don.

John Dunlop ([log in to unmask])