HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 22:41:14 GMT
Rodolfo Lopez ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Our thought is to try configure a spooled device in a DTC port and connect
: the printer via modem.

: The only problem is that the PREFERRED approach would be to be able to
: initiate the connection WITHOUT operator intervention whenever there is
: something in the spooler, and shut it down after several minutes of
: inactivity.

- Isn't this one of the standard features of the HP3000 spooler?  When
  there's something to send, spooler process for that ldev will do an
  FOPEN on the ldev (DTC port) and if that is configured as a modem port,
  this will cause modem signals to raise.  A modem that dials a pre-
  configured number upon seeing DTR going high should do the trick.

: Well, to disconnect when there is no activity may be managed through the
: LOGOFF feature of Security 3000 when there is no activity for a period of
: time. The puzzle is, how can I initiate the connection from the 3000 when
: there is something on the spooler.
: Is it possible?

- To disconnect (if I remember it right) the termtype 26 can be configured
  (using TTUTIL) to wait for certain amount of time for new printouts and
  if nothings going out, then fclose the device and drop the modem signals.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but to me it looks like it's very
doable and shouldn't take much more than a modem with autodial capability.
I'm sure the net bites me if this is not right...

Cheers,
:-) Eero Laurila - HP CSY Networking lab.