HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:48:02 -0600
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Steven
Verona) wrote:

> Why continue to go through all of these connectivity problems.  The
> ideal solution is to migrate all the software off the HP3K and onto the
> UNIX system.  This can be accomplished in an automated fashion by
> DB-Net, Inc. (614-436-6565, ask for Steven).  Their service is fast and
> relatively inexpensive and requires no retraining for the users.

Where's the PLUG ALERT? This poster works for DB-Net.

Migration to another platform might be ideal, and it might not. Be sure to
advise any callers they'll need to pony up for a Unix database, spooler
software and a backup solution while migrating. Anything less and the Unix
system won't do what MPE already does. The extra cost might make the
solution less ideal. And let's hope they're migrating a Cobol application
for which they have source code. I've been told that's where the DB-Net
expertise begins and ends.

Don't bother to extend your reach between systems. If your arm's not long
enough, just lop it off and get somebody else's arm in there to reach for
you.

Migration can be a pretty radical thing. Serving the needs that are
already out there is one thing. Advocating it, without doing any checking
on budgets or company missions, isn't very responsible. It's great for
sales, though.

--
Ron Seybold
Seybold Media