HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Steven Verona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Verona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 15:27:11 GMT
In <[log in to unmask]> Jon Erikson
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>         Hello,
>
>         I need some input from ya'll!
>
>         We are currently running a library OPAC (On-line Public
>         Access Computer) on a Series 70.  It does *very* well,
>         except 1) It has a hard time supporting 70-90 concurrent
>         sessions doing general and key-word searches, and 2) Is no
>         longer supported (the classic) by the app vendor.
>
>         The problems with upgrading are 1) The institution can not
>         come up with the funding to upgrade/replace the S/70 *and*
>         upgrade/replace the OPAC app at the same time, and 2) Our
>         library does not want to be tied to the existing vendor, as
>         we are with MPE.
>
>         The possible solution, for which I humbly request your input
>         is as follows:
>
>         1) Upgrade the S/70 to a S/947 (or there abouts)
>         2) Run the current OPAC in compatibility mode (same
>            functionality, but better response)
>         3) Upgrade/replace the OPAC at a later date when additional
>            funding becomes available.
>
>         Number 3 is where I need input.  POSIX.  As I understand it,
>         POSIX will all us to install, compile, and run Unix-based
>         applications on the 3000.  For the above solution to fly, the
>         3000 must support unix OPACs, so we are not tied to our
>         current vendor (although we may end up keeping them).  HP
>         literature seems to tout POSIX as a way to keep unix
>         developers happy on a 3000.  They don't seem to openly claim
>         the ability of the 3000 w/MPE/iX to run complex unix apps
>         (w/database) in a production environment.
>
>         Obviously, it would be much better to run unix apps on a
>         9000, however, our budget situation and the library's
>         requirement that we not be tied to our current OPAC vendor
>         demands that we look closely at this.  If it is not possible
>         to run unix-based OPACs on a 3000, we will either have to
>         stick with the current vendor, or wait until sufficient
>         funding is available to do it all at once (3-5 years).
>
>         My Bottom Line Questions:
>
>         1)  Is POSIX on a 3000 capable of running any unix app
>             (including a unix DBMS) that has been developed for or
>             ported to HP-UX?
>
>         2)  Is anyone doing such a thing?
>
>         3)  Are there any performance and/or resource trade-offs
>             associated with this?
>
>         4)  What do the vendors of unix-based apps generally think
>             about this?
>
>         Any insight and/or experiences will be greatly appreciated!
>         Please respond to the List, as I would think everyone would
>         be at least curious about this.
>
>         Thanks!
>
>         Jon Erikson
>
>         *******************************************************
>         Jon Erikson                          Ph: (804) 395-2421
>         Longwood College                    Fax: (804) 395-2378
>         Info Tech Support Services
>         201 High Street
>         Farmville, Va  23909-1899       [log in to unmask]
>         *******************************************************

The ideal solution would be to replace the underpowered HP3K with a
modern UNIX box.  The existing software can be migrated to the UNIX
system in an automated fashion by DB-Net, Inc (614-436-6565 ask for
Steven).  The process is fast, efficient, and relatively inexpensive.
The migrated software looks and feels just like the old software and
requires no retraining of the end user.

This seems like the best alternative for you.  Why go through several
steps, when in the end, you will want to be on UNIX anyway.  It will
certainly cost less to do it right NOW rather than after you have spent
a lot of money on interim measures.