HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Terry Warns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Warns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 19:13:35 -0500
Roger Payne <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Does anyone know anything about File Net a new image documenting s/w from
H.P.??

>Can you give me any more details please?

Filenet is a third party workflow and document imaging software package running
on a HP3000.  HP and Filenet has been promoting this solution for about a year
or
so.

I am working with a Novell based Imaging solution.  A network PC station is
absolutely required in any application. Imaging also takes gobs of disc space.

My latest application required space for 600,000 documents or around 40GB.

We rejected the HP3000 as a solution for one reason only -- Backup and restore.

We did not want to backup 40GB regularly nor did we want to restore it ever.

A Novell server (HP of course) and a HP Jukebox (40gb) is working nicely.

Three things drive the price of document imaging - Number of Documents, Number
of Documents, and the Number of Documents.

Finally, there are a lot of options for document imaging.  Filenet is certainly
a big player in the market.  You should spend a lot of time in designing
your network, your backup strategy and etc to get the most out of it.

On the other hand by the turn of the century, most companies will have some
sort of document imaging installed.

Terry Warns
WL Software
Troy, MI  48098