HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Rodolfo Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodolfo Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 17:35:00 -0500
Ok folks. Here I am again. Unfortunately I was bounced off the list for a
while. If anyone tried to assist me on this matter during the past week, I
did not get any of the messages.

So, sorry for asking again.

I have a remote location a few miles apart from our data center. We are
planning to install routers during this year but in all likelihood in the
last quarter.

The problem is that within a few weeks, I need to have a printer there for
some members of the purchasing department. We would like to keep this as low
as possible in cost because of what we have in schedule for later on.

Our thought is to try configure a spooled device in a DTC port and connect
the printer via modem.

The only problem is that the PREFERRED approach would be to be able to
initiate the connection WITHOUT operator intervention whenever there is
something in the spooler, and shut it down after several minutes of
inactivity.

Well, to disconnect when there is no activity may be managed through the
LOGOFF feature of Security 3000 when there is no activity for a period of
time. The puzzle is, how can I initiate the connection from the 3000 when
there is something on the spooler.
Is it possible?

If not, is there a better approach?

Any suggestion is welcomed and reasonable expenses are a possibility. The
only third party product that  we have to support spooled devices is NBSPOOL
Plus. Our DTCs are handled through OpenView with DTC Manager.

It comes to my mind that I used to have several copies of Office Extend
around. I recall that the product provided a way of remote spooling but I
can't remember to what level of control. I know that Fransen King is on this
list and if there is a solution through this or any of his products he will
answer.

Regards,