HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 01:21:28 EST
On Sat, 11 Mar 1995 03:17:43 GMT Eero Laurila said:
>Phil Culver ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>: from FRANCE I'm told. GREAT PLANNING! Anyway the Sales Rep doesn't return my
>: calls until I sic the SE on her to do so, and only then do I get the 7 week
>: news. Heck, my dog can whelp a litter of puppies in about the same amount of
>: time!
>
>- IMHO, HP should be able to get you up and running while waiting for the
>  software delivery by having the response center termio support folks
>  to make you a copy of their masters.  [...]

As you may have guessed by my earlier posts about the "new" OpenView/Win and
DTC Manager, I'm somewhat less than excited about HP's PC software in general.
It is further inviting to bring in the "open systems" thread, since this one
product (OV DTC Manager/Windows) is the MOST CLOSED accursed thing I've ever
run across.  Nobody installs or updates this thing on a whim, it's a ghoulish
experience in futility.  Once it works, you don't want anyone to come near
the machine lest something go wrong.

"OpenView" is my nomination for oxymoron of the decade, at least with Windows.
It's not open, it's very explicit in its pre-requisite hardware/software
requirements.  And to this point, I can either "View" my DTCs or "View" the
network, but not both at the same time (let me clarify that by saying that I
haven't been successfully able to "View" the DTCs at this point, let alone
manage them).  If you could manage a TAC from the host, I'd pitch the whole
lot, and take a vacation on the maintenance savings.

I'll reserve my final verdict for the outcome of my pending HPRC report of the
current problems.

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]