HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

From:
"Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rudderow, Evan
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:46:00 EST
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> asks:

>After seeing several multi-processor upgrade listings, inquiring minds
>want to know...
>
>What is a "Processor Reference Label" and why do you need/not need one?

Funny you should ask -- I was just cleaning out some stuff and I found the
upgrade label sheet that was left over from my S/950 to S/980 upgrade.

This sheet has three sets of labels:
Set 1 consists of 4 labels, all of them read S/980 but were differentiated
by the upgrade product number -- i.e. that part number for the upgrade
product you bought.

Set 2 consists of 8 labels which identify the original product number; i.e.
what you upgraded from.

Set 3 consists of 1 label, the dreaded processor reference label!

Well, on this sheet I've got in front of me, the processor reference label
is missing,, and the 980 went bye-bye when I upgraded it to a S/987-150, but
in looking at the upgrade manual it seems that the processor reference label
merely contained verbage that looks a lot like compliance statements for EMI
or RFI standards for various foreign countries.

Pretty disappointing, eh?

As an interesting bit of trivia, there was a rumor two or three years ago
that these upgrade label sheets could be sold for large sums of money to
disreputable hardware brokers who were performing unsupported upgrades; e.g.
turning a S/950 into a bogus S/980 by upgrading it with an HP3000 S/890
processor board.