HP3000-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

From:
Chris Breemer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Breemer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 14:35:02 MET
Hi All,

I have a question for the Allbase gurus among you.

It says in the Allbase DBA guide (chapter 'Logical Design', section
'Determining Index Keys') that you must create an index on a primary key.
What happens if you don't do this ? Our Allbase driver has never done this
and seemed to work well (albeit slowly, which is perhaps explained by the
absence of the required index). Does it make sense to have a primary key also
be an index too? I would say a pk should be an index automatically.

To complicate things, it seems that we have been advised by HP in the past NOT
to create an index on a pk, which is why we omitted it in the driver. I seem
to remember that at that time (I think it was Allbase E.0) the PRIMARY KEY
clause did not actually do anything. Does it now (Allbase F.0, G.0) ?

I hope somebody can shed some light on this obscure topic.
Thanks !
--

:)
Chris Breemer