HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 16:22:37 EST
I asked last week about running OpenView and DTC Manager over WRQ's
RNS/Windows stack.  After much trial and error, loud swearing, much
help from Ross Scroggs, and some giggling from the Response Center,
it's working.

I would never risk updating a working setup (my old DTC Mgr 12.1) and
don't know yet if the configuration files will exchange (I have my
doubts) but if you don't mind starting from scratch, it will work.

If RNS/Win is loaded and running OK, load OpenView 7.2.  Then (according
to instructions) "if you are using another stack, copy WINSMTP.DL_ and
WINSMTPH.EX_ from the TCP/IP disks (FTP's PCTCP stack is shipped with
OV/Win) and expand them into /WINDOWS/SYSTEM".  The example showed simply
      expand winsmtp.DL_ winsmtp.dll
      expand winsmtph.ex_ winsmtph.exe

Well, doing this doesn't "expand" the files.  They come out the same
length.  I have no idea why.  But if you do a "dummy" install of PCTCP,
you will find the larger, real WINSMTP.DLL and WINSMTPH.EXE in \PCTCP.
Copy them to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM then you can purge \PCTCP (best keep copies
of config.sys, autoexec.bat, and win.ini before the dummy install).

Ross reported he gets a "polling not supported on this stack" message
but everything seems to work OK.  I got an "out of memory" error at first,
then changed configs a bit and also got the "polling not supported" thing.
HOWEVER, I did yet ANOTHER install attempt on a 12Mb 486/66 which was
doing all the same things, and got no polling error.  The only bottom-line
difference is possibly the presence of the windows-based Netware VLM.EXE
in place of the typical NETX.EXE for the client-side IPX support.

[\] Jeff