HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 4

From:
George Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 00:17:08 -0800
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>>Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:30:00 EST
>>From: "Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: HP4000? Ever heard of?

>>Mike Mcgarry <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>>>Someone recently told me that there was an HP4000 system.  It was
>>>listed that they had HP3000 experience and that they also had
>>>HP4000 experience.
>>>
>>>Has anyone heard of such a beast?  If so, what is/was it?

>>I have!

>>You know of the strengths the HP3000 possesses for business data processing,
>>and you've probably heard of the real time features of the HP1000.  The
>>HP4000 was a system that combined the features of both (i.e. 1000 + 3000 =
>>4000).  It was designed for real-time business applications such as stock
>>trading and automated tellers.  If I recall, only three were ever sold.

>>;-)

>> -- Evan

>What is the background on this?  Why were only three sold?

George Carter writes:

He is joking.  The HP 4000 is a new HP laptop.  It uses a PC
processor.  It is just a rebranded TwinHead laptop.  If you
have any questions about this machine, I would ask TwinHead,
because the HP people I talked to did not know much.  HP's
interest in this product is that they can earn some money,
but not HP's traditional profit levels, by simply putting the
HP name on other people's products and repairing them.