HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 4

From:
Isaac Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 18:16:51 -0700
Item Subject: Message text
>  Anyone have a benchmark comparing NS/VT performance to DTC performance?
>
>  It is always stated in general terms that NS/VT costs more CPU cycles, etc.
> per session than DTC connection - I need to know how much difference so we
> can recommend either a network solution or a DTC solution for session
> connectivity of a new building.

Hi Eric,

I've seen some good posts from others (Eero and others) so I won't address their
information because I agree with it.

What I did want to bring forward is the problem with NS/VT relative to the
client.  Many of our users had noticed performance problems using NS/VT over
their old DTC connections.  In testing we found a 19.2K DTC connection out
performed the NS/VT almost every time from a PC.

HOWEVER, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, accessing the same 3000 on the same subnet using
vt3k on the our workstations the NS/VT performance was equal or slightly better
than the DTC performance.

So remember in your research to take this into consideration...

Cheers,
 Isaac Blake                       |      My opinions are just that!
 City of Tempe, Arizona            |      Telephone:  602.350.8218
 Information Systems Division      |      FAX:        602.350.8366
 120 East Fifth Street             |      E-mail:     [log in to unmask]
 Tempe, AZ  85281-3797  (USA)      |      CompuServe: 76047,152