HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LISTSERV give-and-take forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 12:30:19 EST
I will be updating our Listserv in the near future (possibly today) and
there is one rather noticeable change that may affect you.  To quote the
author:
On    Tue,     21    Feb    1995    10:58:17     EST    Maynard    Calkin
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>First,  we have  several  nested  lists. LISTSERV  is  now generating  a
>explosive jump in the length of mail headers.

LISTSERV has always generated a  Received: and Return-Path: line. However
they are only present in FULL and  IETF headers, not in SHORT headers. To
facilitate the transition from BITNET  to Internet and appease the highly
vocal MIME  users, LISTSERV  now uses  FULL headers  by default.  You can
update  the  sub-list's  subscriptions  to short  headers  to  shunt  the
verbiage.

Thus, if the change causes you to get "noisy" headers that you were not
receiving before, send a message to <[log in to unmask]> with text:
   set hp3000-l short

Note that if you have a MIME-compliant mailer you shouldn't do this, as
the MIME-headers will be stripped out of the heading as well.

Other than that, the changes are technical.  The new version uses the
Internet for delivery when possible and only places a minor load on
the slower Bitnet links.  It also has a "spam" filter :-)

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]