HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
"Tony B. Shepherd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony B. Shepherd
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 1995 11:25:58 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, David Lukenbill wrote:
]Subject:      HPDesk replies incorrectly?
 {snip}
]happens on our system, we usually (but not always) get a foreign
]address that has a lot of slashes ('/') in it, as well as other wierd
 {snip}
]  From: Spencer Blank <[log in to unmask]>
]  spencer.blank/noslgw////////HPMEXT1:[log in to unmask]

Some of HP internal addresses (at least in Atlanta) have slashes as well.  I
use a Unix shell account ISP, and cannot mail-to (nor reply to) addresses
such as these with the simple 'mail' program.  Elm, Pine etc. seem to be ok.

After threats of an undisclosed nature, my provider got me the source code
for mail.  It interprets an address with '/' anywhere in it as a file name,
not an address.  That logic 'feature' was the problem.  Comments in the source
indicate that SM's use the feature to 'mail' reports to a file on the same
machine without actually going through 'sendmail'.

I have since moved to an off-line reader approach (uqwk/yarn/yes - all free
software) and am MUCH happier.  On-line ($) time is greatly reduced too.

If you have trouble with your standard 'mail' command when mailing to an
address with '/' in it, see if this bug is nipping your ankles.

--
Regards  --  Tony B. Shepherd  --  [log in to unmask]