HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 23:23:00 -0800
Michael Hensley ([log in to unmask]) wrote (2/9):

> On Wed, 8 Feb 1995 18:18:00 EST, Evans, Kevin W. posted:

> [snip]

> : There is a couple of job streams that come with the VESOFT
> : Security/3000 package that address these idiot prompts.  One
> : called MINLOGON.JOB.VESOFT which changes the message catalog.  A
> : user who enters an incorrect logon string will get a simple
> : *INVALID* response.  If you want to change it back {why?}, you
> : can stream MAXLOGON.JOB.VESOFT.

> These jobs have not been up-to-date in *years*, and were removed
> from the documentation (I removed them myself).  I *think* the
> new version 2.5 of Security can provide a better solution through
> Procedure Exits (you can apparently change the pro-logon prompt,
> messages, even the syntax of the HELLO command), but I haven't
> tried any of this yet, and I believe it will only be available on
> MPE/iX (not sure which version).

Procedure Exists, including those to 'hook' into the logon process
were available as patches to MPE/XL releases 3.0 & 3.1 and then
bundled into MPE/iX 4.0. The product is only available on MPE/iX
systems.  While I don't know if Security Monitor/iX uses them, I
do know that SAF/3000 from Monterey makes extensive use of these
exits.  Someone from Vesoft would have to respond as to the features
of their new version.

As an aside, if I recall Security Monitor on MPE-V simply set a flag which
then caused the logon process (in the NURSERY segment) to revert to
the "**INVALID**" response as opposed to the 'helpful' prompts.

By the way, if anyone is thinking about trying to do this be sure and
play on system that you can afford to crash alot!  This is because the
most of the normal process environment one expects to see when executing
doesn't completely exist during the logon process (ie there is no job or
session environment yet!)

-- Jerry