HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 19:33:13 EST
Here's an eye-opener for you...

I've been "playing" with Unix toys on 5.0 for some time now.  I say "playing"
quite literally -- I'm still very much a Unix newbie and easily get lost in
space when I leave MPE for the shell.  I retrieved all the "goodies" from
jazz.external.hp.com and even tweaked the gopher client a bit.  We've been
running the NCSA httpd port on our library system for some time.  The
library faculty that oversees their VTLS software started playing with html
pages and setup some pretty interesting stuff.

He found a package called "wusage" that produces reports of web server
traffic from the httpd logs, and retrieved the tar.Z file from somewhere.
A quick uncompress, tar -xf, then peek at the Makefile.  ALL I did was
change 'cc' to 'c89' and the make ran like a charm.  The thing even
worked!

That's almost scary :-)  VERY atypical in my limited experience, but for
once I found a fetch-make-and-go Unix package that ran with a 1-line change
(excluding the config file).

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]