HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 16:55:11 EST
Dr. Nagy asked:

<<How can I list the system configuration parameters from a Sysdump tape?
<<Stan Sieler's TAPEDIR reported only that there is a Sysdump tape and
<<listed only the files on it. ............Slooooooooooooowly, in a time
<<comparable with the time of the writing of the cassette.

If you have an MPE/V system, simply coldload from the SYSDUMP tape and go
through the appropriate dialogue to list to the console what you want to
see. (For hard-copy, attach a printer to the alternate serial port, log
bottom, etc.). Then, after you have seen what you want to see (and/or print
to slave printer) press control-B to discontinue coldload (FAILURE TO DO SO
MAY  HAVE UNPLEASANT CONSEQUENCES) BEFORE message "do not interupt after
this point" or some such.

I would also recommend that you have a current coldload tape of the
existing classic system before you begin this procedure. After interrupting
coldload as described above, you may have to cold load again from the
current coldload tape to bring the system back up again. However, I believe
you should be able to warmstart or coolstart to bring the system back up -
but I'm not positive - you may have to resort to a coldload from tape.

If you do not have a classic system, beg, borrow or steal one. Or, someone
else may have another idea.

Hope this helps.

Gilles Schipper
GSA, Inc.