HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Howard Pringle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Pringle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 10:35:57 -0600
>On Wed, 8 Feb 1995 18:18:00 EST, Evans, Kevin W. posted:
>
>[snip]
>
>: There is a couple of job streams that come with the VESOFT
>: Security/3000 package that address these idiot prompts.  One
>: called MINLOGON.JOB.VESOFT which changes the message catalog.  A
>: user who enters an incorrect logon string will get a simple
>: *INVALID* response.  If you want to change it back {why?}, you
>: can stream MAXLOGON.JOB.VESOFT.
>
>These jobs have not been up-to-date in *years*, and were removed
>from the documentation (I removed them myself).  I *think* the
>new version 2.5 of Security can provide a better solution through
>Procedure Exits (you can apparently change the pro-logon prompt,
>messages, even the syntax of the HELLO command), but I haven't
>tried any of this yet, and I believe it will only be available on
>MPE/iX (not sure which version).
>--
>Michael D. Hensley       | "the Internet...in the right hands it is a
>[log in to unmask]      | wondrous tool, and in the wrong hands it is
>[log in to unmask] | an even better one." -- Cecil Adams

Which version of the documentation for Security/3000 are you referring to?
Right now I'm looking at page 72 of the latest 2.4 documentation that I have
and there is a description of the usage of the MINLOGON.JOB.VESOFT job. I
agree that this job is out of date and does not change many of the newer
messages, but it is a good start for those users who don't want to get into
a wholesale revision of the message catalog.

J. Howard Pringle                      | [log in to unmask]
Library Systems Manager                | The opinions expressed are mine,
Waukesha Public Library                | Mine, ALL MINE! (insert demented
Waukesha, WI   53186                   | laughter here)